How often do we mold ourselves to fit in? Join us as we unravel the complexities of identity and acceptance with Selema Masekela, a renowned storyteller and artist who's journey of self identity discovery is a testament to the power of self-love. Selema shares his experience of creating a character around his persona to assimilate in places where he was the 'other'.
Selema joins Ruben to indulge in an honest exploration of relationships, the struggles of receiving love, and the essence of taking care of oneself before others. As we navigate through the landscape of fear-based living, we discuss the dangers of demonizing intelligence and highlight the importance of embracing love in our society.
How does Selema live through love? "Allowing myself to be taught by love the soft lessons, the hard lessons and the ability to continuously learn to receive it from all different directions, because sometimes that sh*t feels like an attack.”
"What you do and who you are, are two different things. Who you are defines you. What you do is just a piece of that. But without who you are, you can't do what you do." - Selema Masekela
In this episode, you will learn…
- Embracing individuality: the importance of self-identity and authenticity, highlighting his journey of self-discovery.
- The importance of self-love: It's crucial to fill our own cup first before we can give to others, emphasizing the importance of self-care and self-appreciation in our relationships.
- Empathy and vulnerability: These two traits play a vital role in today's society. They allow for deeper connections, understanding, and acceptance of others.
- The power of love: Selema shares his understanding of love shaped by past relationships and the control we can take over our narratives, demonstrating the transformative power of love.
- Creating inclusive spaces: Selema highlights the importance of inclusivity and diversity in all aspects of life, from sports to society at large.
“I didn’t have an identity growing up. I couldn’t tell you what color in the Crayon box represented me. I was all 64. But at one point I had to choose which one was me.” - Selema Masekela
About the guest: Selema Masekela is a prominent storyteller and artist, known for his inspiring journey of self-identity discovery and his experiences in the world of outdoor sports. Selema advocates for self-love, empathy, vulnerability, and the importance of owning one's own story, as well as fostering diversity and access in outdoor sports.